Essential Planner Supplies Introduction
I know when it comes to planning, finding the essential planner supplies can become quite overwhelming. Whether you’ve read blog posts, browsed Instagram, Pinterest or watched YouTube videos, deciding on the basic planner essentials without breaking the budget can be difficult.
*Disclosure: This post may have affiliate links. Please check out our disclosure policy for further details.
Believe me, I’ve been there!
But before we get to planning supplies, let’s talk briefly about planners. Because, basically, you can’t start planning and using planner essentials without first having a planner.
Now, there are a wide variety of planners out there. They come in any configuration you like; such as binder style, coil bound, book bound, disc bound and traveler’s notebook style.
My Top Eight Planner Supplies
Today I’m going to share with you my top eight must have planner supplies.
- My first absolute must have for planning, regardless of the system I’m using is pens and writing supplies; such as pencils, markers and highlighters. A planner is quite useless without a pen to write down information such as appointments, items you are tracking and reminders. There are a wide array of pen styles available to use in your planner. But, if you are anything like me, you enjoy using different colors in your planner. My top favorite pens, for use in my planner are the Steadtler Triplus Fineliners in the 20 pack, Sharpie pen, which currently comes in 10 different pen colors and the Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto (review here) and the Uniball Style Fit (review here). Now pens are a very personal thing, so you may have to try a few styles and brands before you find which one works for you and your planner.
- My second favorite planner essential is sticky notes. Sticky notes are available in just about any color, style, pattern or image, so finding one to match your aesthetic won’t be difficult. They can be as plain as the original Post-It’s or as stunning and decorative as you can imagine. The reason sticky notes are my 2nd favorite must-have for my planner is because they are great for temporarily marking things in your planner, making checklists or even decorating your page.
- Another planner essential is washi tape. Washi tape comes in a massive selection of colors, patterns and styles as well as various sizes. Washi tape can be found many places, including most craft and dollar stores. Washi tape can be used functionally or as an excellent way to decorate and add color or style to your planner pages. The key to not over doing it with washi tape is to find some basic colors and patterns that will match and stick to those. A selection of ten or less rolls of washi will easily permit you to decorate for a long time.
- My next favorite planner essential, regardless of the system I’m planning in is page flags and page tabs. Now, there are a plethora of page flag and page tab types and styles. My top three favorite are GotYoGift brand on Amazon, Target and Post-It tabs. Not only are they very useful in your planner, they can be completely customizable and can help you personalize your planner.
- Clips…who doesn’t like or find useful paper, binder and magnetic clips for holding your pages together These come a simply functional or as decorative as you prefer. You can find specially made paper clips from stores on Etsy, you can DIY your own clips or find cute magnetic clips at stores such as Target or Barnes & Noble. There are also highly sought after magnetic clips called Oli clips, which can be found on Etsy or at the Container Store.
- Additionally, in my planner, I enjoy stickers. Stickers are a very personal thing as well. But, I’ve found what I prefer in stickers are mainly diary stickers, Midori stickys or functional stickers. The majority of the stickers that I like tend to be transparent, meaning I can place a sticker over something I’ve written and still be able to read and decipher what is beneath the sticker. And with functional stickers it allows me to see what is important coming up – anything from a credit card sticker to show me when a bill is due, or a gas sticker to indicate when I’ve fueled my vehicle or even a laundry basket showing what laundry needs to be done for the day. And for making your own stickers, I recommend a Xyron machine. You can take anything you want to make a sticker, run it through a Xyron machine and you’ve created your own sticker.
- Another one of my planning favorites is stamps. Stamps come in an array of designs and styles. My favorites tend to be functional icons. These are very useful for things you know repeat a lot in your planning that you would rather not spend money on buying stickers for. Some of these include bill due dates, paydays, and trash days. And as long as you use waterproof ink, you can even watercolor or color in your stamps.
- And last, but not least, I use long list pads, which are another great addition to your planner. Depending on the size and style of your planner they can even be used as planner pages. If they are too small to be used as pages they are a great way to add lists into your planner.
That is an overview of the top planner essentials I like to have in my planner. These items help me not only stay organized but also add a special touch to my planner so it’s personalized.
Now, I’d love to hear from you! What are the must have essentials for your planner? Was there something you use that I didn’t cover? Tell me in the comments below!